Penland Winter Residencies
PLEASE NOTE: In light of the pandemic and a number of unresolved issues about our ability to support a short-term residency during this time, we have decided to cancel the 2021 Winter Residency program. We are currently offering limited access to our studios through studio rentals. Details are here.
Penland’s Winter Residency program is a short-term residency opportunity for artists seeking to work independently in one of our 16 studios during Penland’s quiet season. Emerging and established artists are encouraged to apply for our 2-week and 4-week sessions. Shared studio access is provided to a small number of artists each session, inviting enough people to encourage conversation and creative camaraderie, but not so many that focused time in the studio is compromised. Our goal is to support artistic growth, experimentation, and inquiry in all media by offering artists the time, space, and equipment they need to promote professional development.
Penland Winter Residencies are for:
- Artists needing access to facilities for research and development that can be uniquely supported by Penland’s studios and equipment.
- Art educators who are seeking focused work time during a winter break or sabbatical.
- Two or more artists wanting to work collaboratively on a specific project or simply alongside one another in order to share technical expertise and/or creative inspiration.
“Winter at Penland provided state-of-the-art facilities and the serenity of its mountain setting to focus on my work in a manner I have not been afforded in many years. It allowed me to refresh my creative spirit and create an entirely new body of work. Since the winter months are particularly quiet, an intimate bond can be found with fellow artists who share the time. It is a unique time for intense focus in outstanding studios with a select number of highly-skilled makers.”
Penland Winter Resident
Penland Winter Residencies include:
- Well-equipped studios, unfettered time, and a beautiful retreat setting.
- Access to one of the following studios: books, clay, drawing/painting, glass (hot shop, flame, or kiln,) iron, letterpress, metals, papermaking, photography, printmaking, textiles, and wood.
Specific studio needs must be clearly outlined in your application.
Each of our studios will have an assistant in place to make sure that our studio equipment is running smoothly. Please note that our studio assistants are not instructors. We assume that all residents are able and willing to work independently.
2021 Winter Residency Dates & Deadlines:
Due to the ongoing challenges of the COVID-19 pandemic, Penland has cancelled 2021 Winter Residencies. We are leaving up the following details about rates and applications for reference.
2021 Winter Residency Fees and Details
- $25 non-refundable application fee (paid through SlideRoom with application)
- $500 for two weeks in all studios except for our hot shop and flameworking studio.
- $1,500 for two weeks in the hot shop (fee includes 8hrs/day Monday-Friday access minus safety orientation and clean up; use of annealers, torches, hand tools, and garage; 24hr access to hot shop kilns and cold shop)
- $800 for two weeks in flameworking (fee includes gas and torches; lathe access available by request only, applicant must include this request in their proposal)
- Studio fees for consumable materials used during the residency will be assessed by your studio coordinator; studio coordinators will email you a list of equipment and supplies available in the studio once you have been accepted; you are responsible for determining which materials you can purchase from the studio and which materials you will need to bring from home.
- Artists are responsible for their travel expenses and must supply their own food; meals are not provided but all residents will have access to a shared kitchen (please note that your kitchen assignment may not be in the same building as your housing.)
- Housing costs vary depending on your choice of housing; we offer housing levels from a shared dorm/shared bath to a private room/private bath. You will indicate your housing preference on the application. Check in is on Sunday between 12 – 4 PM; checkout is by 10 AM on Saturday.
Housing Rates for Two Weeks
- Dorm $169
- Double/common bath $235
- Double/bath shared with roommate $301
- Single/common bath $371
- Single/private bath $503
Refund/Cancellation Policy for Winter Residency
Penland makes a substantial investment when planning programs. Vacancies can be hard to fill even if there is a waiting list, so we must charge cancellation fees to offset the cost of these vacancies. If you cancel on or before November 15th, you will receive a full refund minus a $100 cancellation fee and a $50 processing fee. If you cancel after November 15th, there is no refund. If you have requested housing on campus and decide to cancel that request before your residency begins, you will be charged a $50 housing cancellation fee.
How to Apply
- Concise description (1 paragraph) of the project or type of work you plan to pursue during your requested time frame
- Requested dates and length of stay (2 or 4 weeks in all studios)
- Contact information (email and phone) for 2 references who can speak to your level of professionalism and responsibility, seriousness of intent, and ability to work independently without instruction
- 4 images of recent work in digital format
- CV or resume
- All applications will be processed through SlideRoom.
Winter residents are reviewed by a committee who are looking for artists who demonstrate a proven level of proficiency in their work, engage in professional artistic practices, and present the ability to work independently in our studios.
All media taught at Penland are considered appropriate for the Winter Residency program.
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to commons questions about Penland’s Winter Residencies:
Winter Residencies FAQ
If you have additional questions related to Winter Residencies, please contact:
Amanda Simons, Studio Operations Manager
828-765-2359 ex. 1311
Leslie Noell, Director of Programs
828-765-2359 ext. 1313