Reports to: Director of Facilities and Grounds
Department: Facilites and Grounds
Employment Status: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Start date: TBD
Last Updated: June 23, 2021
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 57 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports individual and artistic growth through creative practice and discovery.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We believe that equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Facilities Technician performs maintenance tasks related to major and minor facility construction and repair, water system and utilities repair, school vehicle and equipment operation, maintenance, and program and special event needs. The position is full-time, benefits-eligible, hourly, and reports to the Facilities Manager. This is a full-time, year-round, non-exempt, benefits-eligible position.
- Works closely with the Penland Facilities and Grounds team to ensure smooth and safe daily and strategic operations of the school campus and grounds
- Completes various operational work orders via a work order management system
- Performs all types of maintenance-related tasks as directed including, but not limited to, plumbing, minor electrical, HVAC, and carpentry
- Assists facilities & grounds employees as directedMaintains inventories of light bulbs, plumbing supplies, electrical supplies, and other facilities related items
- Participates in the on-call team rotation for the weekend and after-hour emergencies
- Helps to maintain and operate the school’s water system
- Attends regularly scheduled meetings as directed
- Is proactive in identifying and recommending action for facilities issues related to people’s safety, health, and welfare within the Penland community. These issues include but are not limited to fire hazards, tripping potentials, unsafe work areas, and visibility restrictions
- Identifies and recommends action on grounds issues related to erosion, water retention, drainage problems, accessibility, vegetative habitat management, and any unsafe conditions
- Supports general campus needs relating to special events and other activities of the campus
- Supports the inspection and maintenance of life safety systems within the housing and administrative buildings
- Assists the Facilities Manager with the following:
- Serves as the field coordinator with subcontractors as requested
- Assists in the maintenance of campus-wide buildings and utilities
- Performs cost analysis for in-house work, including material cost sheets and labor estimation
- Updates manager and team on project progress and concerns daily or as requested
- Assists with annual Fourth of July pyrotechnics display
- Assists with winter snow removal from sidewalks and parking areas
- Assists with processing of hazardous waste
- Serves as essential staff during emergencies
- Other duties as assigned
- Experience in general facility maintenance and general equipment repair required
- Must be self-motivated, can manage a varied workload, and be able to assess needs, set priorities, and solve problems
- Must be able to function as part of a team
- Considerable knowledge of standard practices in the maintenance field is required in addition to general knowledge of building trades, i.e., carpentry, mechanical, electrical, drywall, roofing, and painting preferred
- Must possess knowledge of hand tools and power machinery skills
- Possess knowledge of safe operating procedures for heavy equipment, including tractor with backhoe and forklift, and a North Carolina Pyrotechnic Assistant license or ability to obtain within one year preferred
- Prior experience in vehicle and equipment maintenance, troubleshooting, and repair preferred
- Must have a demonstrated ability to organize and schedule preventive and routine maintenance tasks
- Ability to effectively communicate in oral and written communications and strong interpersonal skills are required
- Experience with Microsoft (Word, Excel, Powerpoint) and Google Suite products preferred
- Certification in first aid and CPR preferred
- Must have a valid driver’s license and clear motor vehicle screening
- Must have a good sense of humor and a hands-on philosophy.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is occasionally required to sit and work at a computer. The employee is frequently required to use tools or controls and speak fluently and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and to walk. The employee must regularly lift and/or move objects weighing significantly more than 50 pounds and bend, lift, work in close quarters, confined spaces, and sometimes handle hazardous materials. The position demands frequent exposure to inclement weather conditions.
This is a full-time, year-round, benefits-eligible position. The starting wage for this non-exempt position is $14.00 and negotiable based on the applicant’s skills and experience they bring to the position. This is a 40-hour week position and will occasionally see overtime. Employees at Penland enjoy competitive pay, attractive benefits, and a lively, creative work environment.
The position will remain open until filled. Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references, addressing relevant experience and interest in the position to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, email@example.com. Please include Facilities Technician as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!