Data and Development Coordinator
Reports to: Director of Development & Communications
Employment Status: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Start date: TBD
Last Updated: March 31, 2023
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 60 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $45 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $7.7 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports making lives meaningful through making.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Penland welcomes everyone. Black, Indigenous, Latine, Asian, and other people who identify as people of color or BIPOC individuals are encouraged to apply, as are people holding other marginalized identities related to gender, sexual orientation, ability, and class background.
We believe equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Data and Development Coordinator works in collaboration with staff and volunteers to achieve fundraising goals established to meet the needs of the organization. The position includes responsibility for collecting and maintaining donor information and database management; formulation of reports and analyses of data; implementation of donor solicitation and acknowledgment activities; support for mail, telemarketing, and event cultivation; and general support for and coordination of the development/communications office. This position reports to the director of development and communications and is full-time, year-round, non-exempt, and benefits-eligible.
- Manage individual and organizational prospect and donor records utilizing Raiser’s Edge software and ensure all data is clean and updated regularly.
- Maintain accurate records in Raiser’s Edge database that pertain to all campaigns, funds, and appeals.
- Provide donor services, including acknowledgments, billing of pledges, matching gift collection, and general customer service.
- Support the planning and implementation of Annual Fund and Giving Day campaigns; process major donor appeals.
- Assist the director of development and communications with planning and implementation of targeted major gift campaigns that support Penland’s strategic priorities, including but not limited to, developing metrics for campaign performance, and conducting data analysis and reporting on the progress of the campaign(s).
- Work with the director of development and communications to build strong donor relationships, perform prospect research utilizing Research Point (Blackbaud) to research capacity, and develop major gift strategies.
- Manage online donation platforms.
- Work with the finance office to reconcile development and finance records regularly.
- Produce donor lists for mailings, special events, and donor recognition.
- Support the planning and implementation of special events, including but not limited to Penland’s Annual Benefit Auction and end of session scholarship auctions.
- Ensure training and oversight of development associates, interns, and work-study students for database-related work.
- Assist the director of development and communications with preparation for meetings, responses to telephone/email inquiries, and other activities as requested.
- Performs additional duties as assigned.
- A general understanding of the field of craft.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent database experience.
- Experience with database management required, Raiser’s Edge by Blackbaud preferred.
- Excellent computer skills, MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint, and GSuite required.
- Strong analytic and project management skills.
- Effective oral and written communication skills.
- Experience working in the development office of a non-profit organization preferred.
- Proven ability to work as part of a diverse team of individuals.
- Ability to be flexible with work hours, including weekends and evenings around fundraising events.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and work at a computer. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, touch objects, tools, or controls and talk fluently and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and to walk in areas of the campus with uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and move objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
This is a non-exempt, full-time (40 hours per week), year-round, benefits-eligible position. Compensation discussions are a part of the interviewing process, but the starting salary range for this position is $18.74 to $22.03 per hour and negotiable based on the skills and experience an applicant brings to the position.
We take care of our staff through a wide range of benefits. For your wellness, we offer multiple medical plans, vision, dental, long-term disability, life insurance, retirement and an EAP program. Benefits include generous vacation, sick, extended sick, and floating holiday leave programs, along with access to studios, free classes, meals during programming, and other discounts. We have other generous benefits which we can explore more during the interview process.
The position will remain open until filled. We will begin a review of initial applications on April 28, 2023. Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references, addressing relevant experience and interest in the position to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, email@example.com. Please include Data & Development Coordinator as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!