Reports to: Food Services Manager
Employment Status: Seasonal full-time (end-date November 19, 2021)
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Start date: ASAP
Last Updated: June 25, 2021
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 57 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports individual and artistic growth through creative practice and discovery.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We believe that equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Baker/Prep Cook is responsible for providing baked goods and supplies for both the Pines Dining Hall and the Penland Coffee House. In addition, the Baker/Prep Cook assists the breakfast, lunch, and dinner cooks in the preparation of food for meals as assigned. The ability to work as a team member with all other functions of Penland is an important aspect of this job. The capacity in the kitchen and dining room is 230 with daily averages of 230 in the summer and 130 in the spring and fall. This position reports to the Food Services Manager and is a full-time seasonal hourly position.
- Plans and prepares creative desserts and baked goods that can be served buffet-style five days a week in the Pines Dining Hall.
- Plans and prepares, in conjunction with the coffee house manager, a variety of high-quality baked goods for sale at the Penland Coffee House. Responsible for bread for sandwiches, sandwich fillings, bagel spreads, and homemade beverages such as gingerade, chai, and chocolate “goo”. Bakes vegan and wheat-free options daily.
- Encourage and support an environment that places value on creative embellishment and garnishing of food to promote an atmosphere that values presentation.
- Communicates clearly and regularly with all meal cooks and coffee house staff.
- Works closely with the food services manager to coordinate daily menu plans.
- Trains prep cooks and work-study students as needed in specific preparation details.
- Works with the food services manager and coffee house manager on product pricing for desserts and coffee house items.
- Other duties as assigned
To accomplish the job successfully an individual must be able to perform the responsibilities discussed above satisfactorily. Must have one year experience in a bakery or similar experience in a high volume setting with diverse menu selections. Culinary education is preferred.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and to work at a computer. The employee is required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to talk fluently and to hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Specific vision required by this job is close vision.
This is a full-time, seasonal, benefits-eligible position. The season starts mid-February and runs through November. The starting wage for this non-exempt position is $14.00, and negotiable based on the applicant’s skills and experience they bring to the position. This is a 40-hour week position and may occasionally see overtime. Employees at Penland enjoy competitive pay, attractive benefits, and a lively, creative work environment.
The position will remain open until filled. Send letter of interest and resume to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Baker as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!