Core Fellowship Application Information
Applications for Penland’s Core Fellowship must be made through penland.slideroom.com. Applications will open on Slideroom on June 15 and are due by October 15.
Applications to the Core Fellowship require the following:
This information is subject to change.
- Phone Number
- Website (optional)
- 2 letters of recommendation—one addressing your artistic commitment and development, the other written by a direct supervisor addressing your work or service qualifications (As the applicant, you are responsible for making sure that your letters of recommendation are submitted on time through Slideroom.)
- 10-15 images (at least 1024 pixels on the long dimension)
Accepted formats for images: .jpg, .jpeg, .png, .gif, .tif, .tiff, .bmp, .tga. [If you wish to submit video work, please upload a still image from the work and include a link to the full work in the item’s details. Please be mindful that reviewers are considering many applications, and longer video work may not be watched in its entirety. Still images are preferred.]
- Please read Penland’s Mission, Vision, Educational Philosophy, and Diversity & Inclusion statements. Tell us your story. How do these statements speak to you? These statements can be found here: https://penland.org/about/mission/
- The Core Fellowship is a two-year work-study position. Core fellows perform kitchen, dining room, grounds, events, and general operations jobs that are crucial to the daily running of the school. What specific job skills and supervisory experience will you bring to the service side of this program?
- As a core fellow you would be growing your artistic skills at the same time as needing to be a strong service leader, student, school ambassador, roommate, and community member. Finding your own personal time and space can be challenging. Describe an instance, in the past, in which you have had to rise above and beyond your own expectations for yourself. How did you do so?
- Please list the three classes you’d take at Penland if given the chance (choose from any classes in a recent catalog or currently listed on our website). How and why did you choose these classes? How are they relevant to your long and short term goals? Current class information is available here: https://penland.org/workshops/workshops-by-studio/
- Why would becoming a Penland core fellow be important at this point in your life? How would Penland benefit from having you as part of the program?