Penland 2020-2021 Studio Rentals
Because of pandemic-related program cancellations, and for a limited time, artists who have previously worked in one of our teaching studios have an opportunity to rent studio space and housing at Penland. Rental is available in one-week increments in the following studios: books, clay, drawing/painting, glass (hot shop, flameworking, or kiln), iron, letterpress, metals, papermaking, photography, printmaking, textiles, and wood.
We expect that all renters are able and willing to work safely and independently with very little assistance and no instruction. That is why anyone renting a studio must have worked previously in that studio as an instructor, student, resident artist, core fellow, or winter resident. Each person will plan their own time, identify their own goals, and create their own work flow with minimal support from Penland staff. Renters must be willing to follow Penland’s studio safety procedures as well all the current guidelines for community health and safety during the pandemic.
Since cancelling our spring workshops, we have extended the availability of studio rentals through April 24.
COVID-19 Safety Measures
For Penland’s complete safety guidelines during the pandemic please consult our COVID-19 Safety Guidelines – Studio Rental document. Below are the primary ways we have designed this studio rental to allow studio access while minimizing the health risk on campus:
- Incoming renters must travel to Penland via car – no one is allowed to travel here by plane or other mass transit at this time.
- Incoming renters must have a plan to return home in case they get sick, including identifying a person who can pick them up if necessary.
- Each renter will be assigned to the use of one studio for the duration of their stay.
- The maximum number of renters permitted in each studio is five.
- Renters will be assigned single-occupancy rooms with private bathrooms (though doubles are available for people traveling together). Rooms will be cleaned and empty for at least one week between occupants.
- Everyone on campus will be required to wear masks at all times except when inside a private residence, when eating or drinking, or when outside and at least 6 feet from anyone who is not a member of their household.
- Everyone on campus must commit to maintain social distancing, high standards of hand hygiene, cleaning/sanitization of shared spaces and objects, and all other campus health and safety guidelines. This won’t work unless we all do it together.
- In order to keep our employees and community as safe as possible, Penland staff is maintaining a minimal presence on campus. Staff will be available by phone to support your Sunday arrival. Studio staff will lead a safety orientation in each studio at 9:00 a.m. on Monday morning and check in regularly to make sure that the studio equipment is running smoothly. Our housekeeping staff will thoroughly clean housing and kitchens before and after your stay.
- The studio rental cost is $400 per week for all studios except for our glass hot shop. This fee covers 24-hour studio access Monday-Friday minus a 1-hour safety orientation on Monday morning and 1-2 hours of cleaning Friday afternoon. Renters who stay for multiple weeks enjoy the same studio access over the weekend as well.
- Some equipment use is subject to additional charges.*
- The glass hot shop rental cost is $750-1000 per week per person** (depending on equipment used). This fee covers 8 hours/day, Monday-Friday access minus a 1-hour safety orientation on Monday morning and 1-2 hours of cleaning Friday afternoon; use of annealers, torches, hand tools, and garage; 24-hour access to hot shop kilns and cold shop.
- Studio fees will be assessed in an amount that will depend on extra equipment and/or consumable materials used during rental.
- Studio rental is available without staying on campus, but guests may not stay on campus if they are not renting studio space.
*In the flameworking studio, the use of the lathe will cost an additional $250/week, or $650/week total
**Renters of the glass hot shop will pay $750/week to reserve their rental. If they use the large glory hole, an additional $250/week will be added to their studio fee.
- $570 per week (6 nights total) for a single room with a private bath.
- $350 per person per week (6 nights total) for a double room and private bath shared with a roommate. This option is only available for renters who are traveling to Penland together.
Renters will be grouped into “pods,” so your studio will determine your housing and kitchen assignment. For this reason we are unable to accommodate requests for specific housing.
Linens will be provided, but renters are encouraged to bring their own pillows. Routine housekeeping in the housing will be limited, but fresh linens, pillows, and room cleaning will be available by request.
Food and Kitchen Access
All renters are responsible for their own food. Each person will have an assigned kitchen, shared with up to four other people (please note that your kitchen assignment may not be in the same building as your housing). Kitchens can be occupied by only one person at a time. Renters are encouraged to bring their own tableware; disposables will be available if necessary.
Drinks, baked goods, and a limited assortment of soups and sandwiches will be available for purchase in our coffee house, which will be open Monday-Friday from 9:00 a.m.-3:00 p.m. The Pines Dining Hall will not be open during the rental period.
A limited supply of materials is available for purchase in each studio. Penland’s Supply Store, however, will not be open during the rental period, so incoming residents are encouraged to bring their own supplies, have them shipped to the school, or consult with our studio staff before arrival to make necessary arrangements
To prioritize the safety of our community, our cancellation policy has been modified. If you need to cancel your rental period at any time up to the day of arrival you will receive a full refund minus a $50 processing fee. If you need to end your rental period early you will receive a prorated refund minus a $50 processing fee.
This policy is intended to provide maximum flexibility so that everyone can prioritize health and safety free from financial considerations. Last-minute cancellations do present a financial hardship for Penland, though, so we ask that you please communicate with as much notice as possible if your plans are disrupted.
To request and reserve a studio and housing rental, please complete the Studio Rental Request Form. Once your form has been received and reviewed you will be notified by email of your status. If your request is approved, your email will contain your housing and kitchen assignments and instructions on how to access your student portal, including username and password. Payment is due in the student portal upon acceptance. Once you have paid and your spot is reserved, our studio staff will contact you to go over the details of your studio plan and review our pandemic safety practices.
For questions about availability, fees, housing, and reservations, please contact:
Amanda Hollifield, Registrar and Student Affairs Manager
(828) 765-2359 ext. 1306
For questions about studio practices, equipment, and materials, please contact:
Amanda Simons, Studio Operations Manager
(828) 765-2359 ext. 1311