The beautiful thing about the Penland schedule is that it is simultaneously very regular and very unpredictable. We know that there will be seven 8-week concentrations and nine 1-week workshops offered in the fall and spring, but their content can vary dramatically from year to year—will textiles students be sewing quilts or making shoes? Will the iron studio be forging or pouring iron? Will the clay class be firing sculpture at cone 03 or pots at cone 10?
Today, we’re thrilled to answer these burning questions and reveal our Fall 2018/Spring 2019 workshop lineup! We’ve got classes programmed in each of our studios (including our shiny new paper and photography studios), and there’s something on offer for just about any creative interest. Get a peek at our Fall 2018 Concentration workshops below, or browse our workshops by studio or by session to see everything we have planned.
2018 Fall Concentrations
September 23 – November 16, 2018
- Clay – Red Clay Every Way with Maggie Jaszczak & Tom Jaszczak
- Glass – Pattern & Texture with Benjamin Johnson
- Iron – Forged & Filed with Seth Gould
- Letterpress – Letterpress Possibilities with Beth Schaible
- Painting – Color & Abstraction with Tonya D. Lee
- Textiles – Surface Design: Fundamental to Experimental with Tim Eads
- Wood – Seriously Messing with Wood with Stephen Proctor
Registration for Fall 2018 and Spring 2019 workshops will open Monday, May 21 at 11:00 AM EST on a first-come, first-served basis. Scholarships are available for all 8-week concentrations—apply by August 1 for fall and November 28 for spring.
And if you’re the type of person who just loves to leaf through our offerings in paper, don’t fear; the catalog is at the printer now and will be on its way to mailboxes across the country shortly!