The following post contains a photo slideshow that is best viewed on the Penland blog.
As the days turn cooler and the sun sets ever earlier, we’ve been thinking back to one of our favorite weekends from the height of summer: the 33rd Annual Penland Benefit Auction!
This year’s auction was a great success thanks to the hundreds of attendees, contributing artists, volunteers, sponsors, and Penland staff who gave their time, talent, energy, and more. It was a chance to catch up with old friends and make new ones, enjoy remarkable art, honor some important people in our community, celebrate Penland’s new Northlight complex, and relax in this beautiful mountain setting. Scroll through the photos above to relive a bit of the fun!
Here are a few facts and figures from auction weekend:
- Attendees: 649
- Volunteers: 182
- Outstanding Artist Educator: Woodworker and longtime Penland instructor Doug Sigler
- Featured piece: 8 Bats 4 Seasons, a mesmerizing mirrored “portal” by Tim Tate
- Fund-A-Need project: Renovating Morgan Hall to use as a communal house for Penland interns
- Works up for bidding: 233
- Total art sales: $340,622
- Total revenue: $640,107
- Net revenue generated for Penland programs: $462,294
Next year’s auction will be held August 9-10, 2019. Mark your calendars and join us then!