Supply Store Sales Associate
Reports to: Supply Store Manager
Employment Status: Seasonal full-time (late February through mid-November) 30-hours weekly
FLSA Status: Non-exempt/hourly
Start date: February 20, 2023
Last Updated: December 7, 2022
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 60 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal-opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $54 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $7.7 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports making lives meaningful through making.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Penland welcomes everyone. Black, Indigenous, Latine, Asian, and other people who identify as people of color or BIPOC individuals are encouraged to apply, as are people holding other marginalized identities related to gender, sexual orientation, ability, and class background.
We believe equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Penland Supply Store Sales Associate works closely with the store manager to run the supply store and meet customer needs by providing a clean, friendly, and professional retail environment. This position has lead responsibility for coordinating and processing incoming and outgoing UPS shipping through the store’s account. This is a customer service and sales position, and will be expected to work Saturdays.
- Follows supply store opening, mid-day, and closing procedures
- Welcomes customers and provides exceptional service to students, instructors, visitors, and staff
- Assists customers with locating items, provides information about art and craft based products, tools, and Penland branded merchandise
- Provides information about Penland School programs and the surrounding community
- Maintains cleanliness and organization of the sales floor and front sales desk
- Utilizes point of sale system (POS) to process sales, operate end of day reports with accuracy, reconcile end of day cash till, accurately process internal Penland School store accounts
- Manage the supply store’s UPS shipper account to process outgoing packages, maintain records, and reconciliation of weekly billing
- Assists supply store manager with tracking inventory and purchasing needs, accurate pricing, POS product entry and tagging, merchandising and displays, processing incoming orders, restocking supplies, preparation of annual supply store inventory reporting, and meeting sale goals
- Performs additional duties as required
- Requires a self-motivated individual who has excellent customer service and communication skills (written and oral), and be detail-oriented, reliable, and punctual
- Knowledge of computer software applications in word processing, POS systems, spreadsheet, and database software is recommended
- A high school diploma or GED, at least one year of retail sales experience recommended
- The ability to perform basic mathematical calculations is required
- A commitment to uphold and implement Penland’s mission, educational philosophy, and diversity & inclusivity statement
- Must have current COVID vaccination and boosters or a Penland-approved exemption
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to stand for lengthy periods, walk, and to work at a computer. The employee is frequently required to use hands to maneuver objects, tools, controls, and speak fluently, and hear. The employee must frequently lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds. Specific vision required by this job includes close vision.
This is a full-time, seasonal, benefits-eligible position from late February through mid-November. This position pays $13.50 per hour for 30 hours per week, working a total of 1170 hours per year. Saturday work will be required, and the position may have the opportunity to flex up during the summer. Benefits include medical, dental, vision, retirement plan, discounts, and other perks. Employees at Penland enjoy competitive pay, a full-time benefits package, and a lively, creative work environment.
The position will remain open until filled. The scheduled start date is February 20th. To apply, send a cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references, addressing relevant experience and interest in the position to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, email@example.com. Please include Supply Store Sales Associate as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!