Supply Store Manager
Reports to: Gallery and Visitors Center Director
Employment Status: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Start date: May 1, 2021
Last Updated: March 17, 2021
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 57 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports individual and artistic growth through creative practice and discovery.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We believe that equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Penland Supply Store Manager oversees an important and active retail sales hub in the heart of the Penland campus. They are responsible for the smooth management of the school’s supply store to ensure students and staff have the necessary supplies to be successful in their classes and on campus. This position works closely with gallery and visitor center and operations staff to ensure a welcoming and friendly atmosphere for students, instructors, staff, and visitors.
This is a full-time (40-hour), hourly, non-exempt, year-round, benefits-eligible position that currently reports to the Penland Gallery Director and works closely with the director of operations, finance staff, the studio operations manager, and the entire studio coordinator team.
- Meet the needs of students, instructors, staff, and visitors by providing many of the materials, tools, and goods that enhance the Penland experience. The primary responsibility of the person in this position is to be a highly organized, positive, and supportive resource for all staff, students, and visitors.
- Work with gallery and visitor center staff to provide visitor assistance and maintain visitor service materials in the store.
- Works closely with studio staff to identify specific inventory needed in support of classes and maintains baseline materials and tools for general purchases. Places orders to meet expected deadlines in support of studio programming.
- Fully utilizes the point of sale inventory system to track sales, inventory levels, and annual inventory reports.
- Follows purchase order protocols set by finance office staff for generating, placing, and tracking all supply store orders and the related paperwork. Follows and maintains established pricing guidelines.
Maintains high inventory standards in the school store, researching and procuring exceptional items to be sold through the store.
- Works with finance office staff to develop and maintain annual expense and revenue budgets.
- Works with finance office staff to oversee, track, and generate internal store charge account reports, end-of-day register reports, weekly deposits, and petty cash.
- Works with studio staff to generate and supply student studio fee information.
- Works with store assistant to create and maintain the store environment: organized and well-kept displays, excellent cleanliness in and around the store, and an overall welcoming and warm ambiance.
- Oversees incoming and outgoing packages for students, staff, and instructors. Utilizes UPS software to “sell” outgoing shipping and maintains basic shipping materials for student use. Monitors incoming packages, safe storage, arrival notifications, and pickup systems.
- Performs additional duties as assigned, including support for other areas of the school in the off-season.
- High school diploma or GED plus a minimum of two years of retail management experience is required.
Strong knowledge and technical fluency in Microsoft Office Suite, social media platforms, and the G Suite platform’s fluency is preferred. Skilled use of Excel and Google Sheets software and experience with POS software are required.
- Ability to calculate figures and amounts such as discounts, interest, commissions, proportions, percentages, etc., is required. General budgeting experience is preferred.
- Practical and current knowledge of craft media, equipment, tools, materials, and techniques.
- High standards and a creative approach to customer service, as well as a friendly, welcoming, and helpful demeanor, are essential.
- Proven experience in being self-motivated and set priorities, meet deadlines, supervise an employee, and organizing multiple projects at once.
- A team player who can work collaboratively and independently as needed.
- Ability to work on weekends as needed.
The employee is regularly required to work at a computer and stand for periods at the sales counter while performing this job’s duties. They must frequently use their hands to manipulate or touch objects, tools, and controls; they must be able to speak fluently, hear, and see (including close vision). The employee will need to successfully navigate areas of the campus with uneven terrain. They must regularly lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
This is a full-time, year-round, benefits-eligible position.
Compensation discussions are a part of the interviewing process, but the starting wage for this position is $15.00 per hour for 40 hours per week (2080 annually). The school will assess weekly winter hours for this position after the first year of employment. Employees at Penland enjoy a lively, creative work environment.
The position will remain open until filled; however, the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by April 9, 2021. The scheduled start date is May 1, 2021. Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references, addressing relevant experience and interest in the position to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Supply Store Manager as the subject of your e-mail.
We look forward to hearing from you!