Summer Coffee House Barista
Reports to: Coffee House Manager
Employment Status: Temporary part-time
(May 23 – August 19, 2022)
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Start date: May 23, 2022
Last Updated: March 21, 2022
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 60 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $54 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $7.7 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports making lives meaningful through making.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
Penland welcomes everyone. Black, Indigenous, Latine, Asian, and other people who identify as people of color or BIPOC individuals are encouraged to apply, as are people holding other marginalized identities related to gender, sexual orientation, ability, and class background.
We believe that equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Coffee House Barista is responsible for maintaining good customer relations, preparing and serving menu items as requested, performing daily clean-up, and operating a cash register. This position reports to the coffee house manager and is a part-time (up to 20-hours per week), non-exempt, temporary position. Evening and weekend hours are required.
- Works the counter with the coffee house manager
- Operates the cash register
- Makes coffee, other drinks, and food to order
- Completes shift duties as outlined by the coffee house manager
- Completes daily and weekly clean up
- Uses good hygiene practices in the handling of all food items
- Other duties as assigned
- Must have completed high school or equivalent, be at least 18 years of age.
- Must be able to perform basic mathematical calculations using a cash register.
- Must be able to multitask and have good customer service skills.
- Must have transportation to and from the school.
- Foodservice experience, including food prep and wait staff experience, is preferred.
- Must have current COVID vaccination and boosters or a Penland-approved exemption.
The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and talk fluently and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and walk in areas of the campus with uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
The starting wage for this position is $13.50 per hour for up to 20 hours per week.
The position will remain open until filled. The scheduled start date is May 23. Send a letter of interest and your work history or resume to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, email@example.com. Please include Barista as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!