Community Collaboration – Summer Camp Assistant
Reports to: Lisa Rose, Community Educator
Department: Community Collaborations
Employment Status: Seasonal
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Dates: June 14 – July 30, 2021
Last Updated: December 9, 2020
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 57 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports individual and artistic growth through creative practice and discovery.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We believe that equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Community Collaboration Summer Camp Assistant will provide classroom and administrative support for Kids Camp activities. This position offers a unique opportunity to work in a dynamic, creative educational community and to work with accomplished teaching professionals in a mutual learning and knowledge-sharing environment.
This position begins in mid-June and ends in early August. The assistant will work intensively with up to 9 teaching artists, experiencing a variety of teaching styles, techniques, and approaches to instruction. Kids Camp serves youth ages 3 to 17 in weeklong half and full-day camp sessions
- Assist with Kids Camp activities, including managing student paperwork, checking and check-in and out of students in and out each day, photo-document camp activities through photos.
- Assist instructors as needed with teaching and supervision of students, collecting and summarizing camp evaluations, and preparing and serving snacks.
- Assist with cleanup at the end of each camp session; additional deep cleaning at the end of the season. Follow and oversee Covid-specific safety protocols as detailed in the Penland Kids Covid-19 Safety Policy and follow Penland’s general Covid-19 protocols.
- Minimum 18-years old.
- Have a strong interest in youth arts education and/or K-12 education.
- Have prior experience working with children.
- Possess strong organizational skills
- Have the ability to pay close attention to detail.
- Have the ability to successfully manage multiple projects at one time.
- Have the ability to work collaboratively in a diverse work environment.
- Be diplomatic.
- Be able to work independently.
- Be flexible
- Clear background screening.
This position requires the applicant to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, reach above their head, have use of fine and gross motor skills, and work in close quarters. The applicant must have normal visual acuity at near and far distances with correction and hear the spoken word with correction. The applicant must be fluent in English, and familiarity with Spanish is a plus. The position demands frequent exposure to inclement weather. While performing the duties of this job, the applicant will occasionally be required to work at a computer. The applicant is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and talk fluently. The applicant must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
This is $13.50 per hour for 6 hours per day for 8 weeks.
The assistantship will remain open until filled, however, the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by March 15, 2021. Send letter of interest and resume and email contact information for at least 3 references to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, email@example.com. Please include Summer Camp Assistant as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!