Human Resources Manager
The Human Resources (HR) manager supports and advocates for the staff experience at Penland School of Craft, the largest non-academic craft school in the United States. This position works across the organization to support the full staff cycle, which includes: staffing, compensation, benefits, communication, evaluation, training, recognition and transitions. The HR Manager serves as a strategic partner to leadership and acts as a voice for staff in organizational processes while also managing the administrative portion of the human resources function.
This position is a year-round, full-time, benefits-eligible, exempt, salaried position. The HR Manager reports to the Executive Director.
- Staffing – manages hiring process including posting, receiving and reviewing applications, interviewing, hiring and onboarding, in close coordination with area supervisors. The position manages the Penland internship program.
- Compensation – builds and monitors the personnel operating budget (approx. $3 million) in coordination with the Executive Director and Director of Finance. Reviews compensation trends and suggests salary adjustments and strategy when necessary. Works with Director of Finance on bi-weekly payroll processing. Conducts a salary study every 3-5 years.
- Benefits – manages and administers the benefits plans for staff. These include but are not limited to: health insurance, retirement, paid leave, and other items outlined in the staff handbook. The position also works closely with external partners to negotiate rates, such as annual renewal.
- Communication – updates and maintains staff handbook in coordination with the Executive Director and the Personnel Committee of the Board of Trustees. Provides updates to staff as needed. Co-leads the Personnel Committee with the Executive Director, and works with the staff representative to gather staff feedback for committee decisions. Acts as mediator and communication facilitator in conflict resolution situations involving staff, instructors, contract staff, and students.
- Evaluation – manages the annual performance review program in close coordination with area supervisors. Maintains personnel metrics for strategic planning and organizational purposes (Ex. staff turnover).
- Training – coordinates organization-wide training, such as CPR/1st Aid, sexual harassment, mental first aid and safe zone, and recommends training solutions for organizational needs.
- Recognition – recognizes the staff at specific intervals (90 days, 2 years, 5 years, etc.) for tenure and accomplishments. Administers 10-year bonus and works closely with Director of Finance on retirement eligibility and paid leave for class access benefit.
- Risk Management – maintains a working knowledge of legal requirements and government reporting regulations affecting human resources functions, and ensures that policies, procedures, and reporting are in compliance, including ACA annual reporting. Keeps personnel documentation in compliance with laws and Penland’s document retention policy.
This position requires strong communication and listening skills that exemplify the Penland spirit of generosity. The individual must have a high level of interpersonal skills (written and oral) to handle sensitive and confidential situations. This position must have an uncanny ability to execute mature judgment and resolve conflicts. Bachelor’s degree (B.S.) or equivalent from a four-year college or university; or three – five years related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience. PHR certification preferred. Strong knowledge and technical fluency in Microsoft Office Suite, GSuite, budgeting and database management.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit and to work at a computer. The employee is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to talk fluently and to hear. The employee is frequently required to stand and to walk in areas of the campus with uneven terrain. The employee must occasionally lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include close vision.
Compensation discussions are a part of the interviewing process. Employees at Penland enjoy competitive pay, engaging benefits and a unique work environment of creative inquiry. We have a variety of seasonal, part-time and full-time positions. Classes are offered in the spring, summer, and fall with a short winter residency in January and February.
Penland School of Craft believes that diversity and inclusion are essential to fulfilling its mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The position will remain open until filled, however, the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by July 10, 2020. Scheduled start date is August, 2020. Send cover letter addressing relevant experience and interest in the position, resume, the names and contact information for three (3) references in one pdf document to Rachel Smith, Executive Assistant, at email@example.com.
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and a total of 58 historic and contemporary buildings. Penland School of Craft is an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 68. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6.7 million. This institution is an equal opportunity provider.