Penland Gallery & Visitors Center Digital Media Internship
The Penland Gallery & Visitors Center at Penland School of Crafts is looking for a smart, creative, and talented intern with an interest in refining their digital media skills to join our team for the summer. This is a wonderful opportunity for someone looking to develop a variety of expertise across the social media/marketing sector, while experiencing the work environment of a highly regarded center of craft education.
The Penland Gallery & Visitors Center Digital Media Intern works with Penland Gallery staff to create content and update & maintain a wide variety of digital media platforms for the gallery & visitors center. The intern will provide extensive support for our e-commerce site and informational web pages, including studio product photography, creating content, and assisting with generating e-newsletters and social media posts. The digital media intern reports to the Director of the Penland Gallery & Visitors Center. The internship period is mid-to-late May through August 9, 2020, 40 hours/week.
A Penland internship offers a unique opportunity to live and work in a dynamic, creative educational community and work with accomplished professionals in a mutual learning and knowledge sharing environment. A $500 stipend for work is included. All housing and meals will be provided at no charge to the intern for the duration of the internship period with a $75 stipend for each week of the internship when the Pines dining hall is closed. Class and studio access is not provided.
Penland will work with applicants seeking educational credit for the internship. Details can be discussed in the interview process.
- Assist with creating and uploading content on the Penland Gallery & Visitors Center informational web pages
- Assist with all aspects of maintaining e-commerce site, including studio product photography, generating product information data, artist and technical information
- Assist in maintaining a healthy image archive/filing system
- Assist with creating e-newsletters, including maintaining email contacts, writing content, and formatting newsletters
- Assist Penland Gallery and Penland Communications staff with content for social media; Instagram, Pinterest, Facebook
- Assist with brick and mortar gallery events as needed, such as exhibition receptions and annual fundraising auction
- Assist sales staff in brick and mortar gallery a minimum of one day per week, learning POS software and gaining experience working directly with visitors, patrons, and artists
- Experience and proven skill with studio photography, DSLR camera, and Photoshop (qualified applicants will be asked to provide examples)
- Possess excellent written and verbal communication skills and a positive professional behavior
- Reasonable understanding of craft media and related techniques (for the purpose of writing about and handling artwork)
- Experience with social media and online communications
- Ability to work with Apple Mac OS system, Word, Excel, and similar
- Experience with a variety of digital media platforms (such as WordPress, Constant Contact, Woo Commerce)
- Have a proven ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups of individuals
- Maintain the ability to work within deadlines, under pressure, and with a positive attitude at all times
- Be highly organized and possess excellent time management skills; attention to detail and accuracy is critical
- Be highly self-motivated, task oriented and goal oriented
- Possess emotional maturity, self-confidence, and a sense of humor
- Be able to accommodate a flexible work schedule; general work hours are 9-5 and includes weekend and occasional evening hours as needed
This position requires the applicant to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, reach above their head, have use of fine and gross motor skills, and work in close quarters. The applicant must have normal visual acuity at near and far distance with correction and hear the spoken word with correction. The applicant must be fluent in English. While performing the duties of this job, the applicant is regularly required to sit and to work at a computer. The applicant is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to talk fluently. The applicant must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
Penland School of Crafts believes that diversity and inclusion are essential to fulfilling its mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The internship will remain open until filled, however the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by February 1, 2020. Send resume and cover letter addressing relevant experience and interest in the internship, personal contact information and email contact information for at least 3 professional references (a minimum of 1 of the 3 shall be from an employer) to Kathryn Gremley, Gallery Director, Penland School of Crafts, PO Box 37 Penland, NC 28765 or email@example.com.
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and a total of 57 historic and contemporary buildings. Penland School of Crafts is an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 68. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million. We offer several internships throughout the year. Penland is located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC.