Gallery Digital Media Coordinator
Reports to: Gallery and Visitors Center Director
Employment Status: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Start date: May 1, 2021
Last Updated: March 18, 2021
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 57 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports individual and artistic growth through creative practice and discovery.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We believe that equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Penland Gallery Digital Media Coordinator has primary responsibility for coordinating the gallery’s eCommerce platform and social media accounts. This position works directly with other gallery staff to facilitate eCommerce content and marketing. The digital media coordinator works with the gallery director to both create content for, and maintain the gallery’s web pages, email newsletters, and print media. The ideal candidate will bring creative ideas and strong skills to help lead our online presence.
This is a full-time (40-hour), hourly, non-exempt, year-round, benefits-eligible position that reports to the Penland Gallery Director and works closely with the Gallery Coordinator and Gallery Sales + Purchasing coordinator.
Divides work time between lead responsibilities outlined below and shared responsibilities. All gallery employees work as a team to welcome and assist gallery visitors. This means some time each day may be spent interacting with the public in our three exhibition spaces and visitors center.
- Serve as the primary point person for the gallery eCommerce site, creating and uploading content, and site maintenance.
- Work directly and in sync with gallery coordinator to manage eCommerce content including images, artwork and shipping information, and artist info. Work directly and in sync with the gallery director and gallery coordinator to manage online exhibition content for eCommerce.
- Supports gallery coordinator’s role in providing customer service via the eCommerce and social media platforms.
- Serve as the primary point person for the gallery’s studio photography needs. Using the gallery’s photo studio, document all artwork for marketing through our eCommerce site and webpages. Create high-quality images that reflect the gallery’s branding and assist with establishing brand protocols. Create photographic records of exhibitions, gallery spaces, and events.
- Lead the Penland Gallery’s presence on social media platforms including Instagram and Facebook. Create regular marketing and educational content that engages, grows, and inspires the gallery’s community online. Work with the gallery director to develop and implement strategies to drive engagement and increase followers across social media channels.
- Work with the gallery director and gallery coordinator to create Penland Gallery’s email communications via Mailchimp. Ongoing communications include Horn Gallery and Focus Gallery exhibition announcements, auction-related events, and seasonal updates.
- Serve as the primary point person for maintaining the gallery website content. Use WordPress to maintain up-to-date information and consistency across pages and menus.
- Assist gallery director with coordinating print media advertising, tracking deadlines for press releases, and advertising deadlines. Assist gallery director and Penland’s graphic design contractor to create postcard and artist folio for Horn Gallery exhibitions.
- Associate degree or equivalent work experience with at least two years experience working with electronic media and digital studio photography.
- Strong knowledge of and technical fluency with Apple operating systems, Microsoft Office Suite, and the G Suite platform is preferred. Experience with spreadsheets utilizing Excel and Google Sheets software, as well as experience with POS software, is recommended.
- High proficiency with WordPress software or similar platforms required, experience with social media platforms, and WooCommerce recommended.
- High proficiency with digital photography, including studio lighting and Photoshop editing, is required.
- Proven experience in being detail-oriented, self-motivated, able to set priorities, meet deadlines, and organize multiple projects at once. Able to manage a varied workload, work well independently and under supervision, work collegially with others, cooperating in both interpersonal and team relationships.
The employee is regularly required to work at a computer and stand for periods of time at the sales counter while performing the duties of this job. They must frequently use their hands to manipulate or touch objects, tools, and controls; they must be able to speak fluently, hear, and see (including close vision). The employee will need to successfully navigate areas of the campus with uneven terrain. They must regularly lift and/or move objects weighing up to 25 pounds.
This is a full-time, year-round, benefits-eligible position.
Compensation discussions are a part of the interviewing process but the starting wage for this position is $15.00 per hour for 40 hours per week (2080 annually). Employees at Penland enjoy competitive pay, attractive benefits, and a lively, creative work environment.
The position will remain open until filled; however, the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by April 9, 2021. The scheduled start date is May 1, 2021. Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references, addressing relevant experience and interest in the position to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Gallery Digital Media Coordinator as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!