Reports to: Gallery and Visitors Center Director
Employment Status: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Start date: March 1, 2022
Last Updated: December 2021
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 423 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 60 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70 and serve 1500 students and 14,000 visitors annually. Penland operates with a $54 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6.7 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports individual and artistic growth through creative practice and discovery.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We believe that equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Gallery Coordinator reports directly to the gallery director and provides specialized oversight for the Lucy Morgan retail sales gallery. This position has a primary role in all aspects of customer service and cultivation, working directly with customers to facilitate sales, shipping, and related support. The gallery coordinator is the lead staff member for the Lucy Morgan sales gallery, in direct contact with artists, coordinating delivery, installation, and inventory records. Working under the gallery director’s supervision as project coordinator for the small format Focus Gallery and the John & Robyn Horn Gallery special exhibitions, they are responsible for tracking exhibition records, installation/art handling, and shipping.
This is a technical, administrative, and services-oriented position.
- At least 2-3 years of relevant retail gallery experience; or equivalent combination of applicable customer service, educational, and professional experience
- Working knowledge of gallery and exhibition operations required; note that the Penland Gallery & Visitors Center program supports both retail sales and large and small format exhibition spaces, with work ranging from functional ceramics to conceptual sculpture.
- This position requires strong interpersonal and customer service skills in keeping with Penland’s commitment to generosity, and the ability to build and cultivate relationships. The individual must have excellent communication skills (written and verbal), and be willing and able to participate in a welcoming atmosphere.
- Proven experience in being detail-oriented, self-motivated, able to set priorities, meet deadlines, and organize and facilitate multiple projects at once. Able to manage a varied workload; ability to work independently, proactively, and also collaboratively.
- A keen understanding and interest in the field of contemporary craft, processes, and materials
- Functional ease with Google Suite and Mac/Windows platforms; experience with various software applications such as the Adobe Creative Suite, WordPress, and POS software preferred.
- Skillful use of hand and small power tools, ability to climb a ladder, and safely move heavy and fragile objects is required.
- Valid and active driver’s license.
Customer Service / Retail Sales
- Contributes to a welcoming and generous space for visitors, students, instructors, staff, and the community.
- Works with gallery customers making purchases, placing orders, and inquiries about Penland-affiliated artists. Utilizes inventory software, computer, and credit card systems to facilitate sales. Assists Gallery Director in developing new customer relationships as well as sustaining long-term customer service.
- Assists as a contact and facilitator for the school’s special tour requests.
Lead Preparator / Installer / Shipping
- Leads all aspects of gallery-related art handling, condition reports, gallery and exhibition artwork installation, pedestal requirements, and all shipping needs.
- Supports gallery staff in maintaining inventory of shipping supplies, shipping records, billing, and trains gallery staff in packaging/shipping as needed.
Gallery Artist Liaison
- Works with gallery director to develop new artist relationships as well as sustain long-term artist representation, with particular objectives to actively build a diverse and inclusive artist roster.
- Primary contact for gallery artists: coordinating with gallery sales and purchasing coordinator attending to all aspects of inventory, sales, and information. Maintains artwork inventory for sales gallery, following up with artist requests, documenting incoming and outgoing inventory, and working with gallery staff to keep accurate records.
Project Coordinator / Exhibitions
- Manages the artwork, installation design, and maintenance of the Lucy Morgan sales gallery and the Visitor Center Gallery annual exhibition.
- Serves as the project coordinator for all special exhibitions in the Focus Gallery and John & Robyn Horn Gallery, assisting with overall project schedule, checklists, publications, installation, shipping, and other related activity.
- Assists the gallery director with the research, development, and implementation of an innovative and balanced Focus Gallery exhibition program.
- Oversees the maintenance of all gallery-related visitor spaces at Horner Hall, including courtyards and gallery signage.
E-commerce / Marketing / Publications
- Work in sync with gallery digital media coordinator to manage E-commerce content, including tracking images, inventory details, shipping calculations, and artist information.
- As project coordinator for exhibitions, assist the gallery digital media coordinator to provide images and information for all exhibition webpage and publications content.
- Assists the gallery director and gallery digital media coordinator with developing and maintaining all general gallery webpages by providing content, tracking/updating customer service pages, and general gallery information.
- Serve as the primary customer service email and phone contact for the e-commerce platform.
Participates as requested in all internal administrative responsibilities including budget development and oversight, staff meetings, training sessions, and other meetings upon request. Performs additional duties as required.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is regularly required to sit, work at a computer, and perform repetitive tasks. The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle or touch objects, tools, or controls and to talk fluently, and hear. The employee is frequently required to stand, walk, and bend. The employee must regularly lift and/or move objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more. Specific vision required by this job includes close vision. Occasional evening and regularly scheduled weekend work is required.
This is a full-time, year-round, benefits-eligible position.
Compensation discussions are a part of the interviewing process, but the starting wage for this position is $16.50 per hour for 40 hours per week (2080 annually). A higher salary will be considered for those with more experience. Employees at Penland enjoy competitive pay, engaging benefits, and a lively, creative work environment.
The position will remain open until filled, however, our initial review will consider applications received by January 10, 2022. The scheduled start date is March 1, 2022. Send résumé, email contact information for 3 references, and a cover letter addressing relevant experience and interest in the position to firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Gallery Coordinator as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!