Reports to: Gallery and Visitors Center Director
Employment Status: Full-time
FLSA Status: Non-exempt
Start date: June 1, 2021
Last Updated: April 12, 2021
Who We Are
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and 57 historic and contemporary buildings. We are an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million. We are located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC. Our mission supports individual and artistic growth through creative practice and discovery.
Commitment to Equity, Diversity, and Inclusion
We believe that equity, diversity, and inclusion are essential to fulfilling our mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The Gallery Coordinator has primary responsibilities as coordinator and project manager for the Lucy Morgan Gallery, Focus Gallery, John & Robyn Horn Gallery, Visitor Center Gallery, and special exhibitions off-site. This position is the lead contact for the Lucy Morgan sales gallery artists, coordinating delivery, installation, and inventory records. Working under the gallery director’s supervision as project manager for all Focus and Horn Gallery special exhibitions, they are responsible for tracking exhibition records, installation/art handling, and shipping. This position has a primary role in all aspects of customer service and cultivation, working directly with customers to facilitate sales, shipping, and related support.
This is a full-time (40-hour), hourly, non-exempt, year-round, benefits-eligible position that reports to the gallery director and works closely with the entire gallery team.
Project Management and Exhibitions Coordinator
- Manages the artwork, installation design, and maintenance of the Lucy Morgan Gallery and the Visitor Center Gallery annual exhibition.
- Serves as the project manager for all special exhibitions in the Focus Gallery and John & Robyn Horn Gallery, assisting with overall project schedule, checklists, publications, installation, and other related activity.
- Working closely with the gallery director, the gallery coordinator assists with the research, development, and implementation of an innovative and balanced Focus Gallery exhibition program.
- Oversees the design and maintenance of all gallery related visitor spaces at Horner Hall, including courtyards and gallery signage.
Lead Preparator / Installer
- Leads all aspects of gallery related art handling, condition reports, gallery and exhibition artwork installation, pedestal requirements, and shipping.
- Supports gallery staff in maintaining inventory of shipping supplies, shipping records, and billing. Trains all gallery staff in art handling and best shipping practices.
Gallery Artist Liaison
- Works with gallery director to develop new artist relationships as well as sustain long-term artist representation, with particular objectives to actively build a diverse and inclusive artist roster.
- Primary contact for gallery artists, attending to all aspects of inventory, sales, and information. Maintains inventory for sales gallery, following up with artist requests, documenting and incoming inventory, and working with gallery team to generate labels and keep accurate records. Requests and creates artist bio information for gallery and website use.
Customer Service and Sales
- Creates a welcoming and generous space for visitors, students, instructors, staff, and the community.
- Works with gallery customers making purchases, placing orders, and inquiries about Penland affiliated artists. Utilizes inventory software, computer, and credit card systems to facilitate sales. Assists gallery director in developing new customer relationships as well as sustain long-term customer service. Oversees and utilizes customer database and visitor records.
- Serves as the primary contact for the school’s tour program.
- Works with gallery and Penland kitchen staff to facilitate event receptions.
- Works in sync with gallery digital media coordinator to manage e-commerce content, including tracking images, inventory details, shipping information, and artist info.
- Works directly and in sync with gallery director and gallery digital media coordinator to manage online exhibition content for e-commerce.
- Serves as the primary customer service contact for the e-commerce platform and social media.
- As project manager for exhibitions, assists the gallery digital media coordinator to track, format, and provide images for all exhibition related uses.
- Assists the gallery digital media coordinator with maintaining gallery, exhibition, and SHOP webpages by providing content, tracking/updating customer service pages, and general gallery information.
- Assumes other responsibilities upon request and as may be appropriate to the position.
- Participates as requested in all internal administrative responsibilities including budget development and oversight, participates in staff meetings, training sessions, and other meetings upon request, responds to e-mails, phone calls, and letters in a timely fashion, maintains accurate and accessible files for gallery staff use.
- Excellent customer service skills and the ability to build and cultivate relationships. Strong verbal and written skills, with excellent attention to detail, is a must.
- A keen understanding and interest in the field of contemporary craft, processes, and materials.
- A bachelor’s degree with at least two years of relevant professional gallery experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Experience and technical fluency with computers and familiarity with Apple operating systems, Microsoft Office Suite, the G-Suite platform, and point of sale software is preferred. Experience with spreadsheets utilizing Excel and Google Sheets software is recommended.
- Familiarity with WordPress software, social media platforms, and WooCommerce is recommended. Proficiency with digital photography and Adobe Photoshop software is required.
- Skillful use of hand and small power tools, ability to climb a ladder, and safely move heavy and fragile objects is required.
- Proven experience in being detail-oriented, self-motivated, able to set priorities, meet deadlines, and organize multiple projects at once. Able to manage a varied workload, work well independently and under supervision, work collegially with others, cooperating in both interpersonal and team relationships.
- Valid and active driver’s license.
While performing this job’s duties, the employee is regularly required to sit, work at a computer, and perform repetitive tasks. The employee is frequently required to use hands to handle or touch objects, tools, or controls, talk fluently, and hear. The employee is often required to stand, walk, and bend, and handle fragile materials. The employee must regularly lift and move objects weighing up to 50 pounds or more, including the movement artwork and gallery furniture. Specific vision required by this job includes close vision. Weekend and occasional evening work is required.
This is a full-time, year-round, benefits-eligible position.
Compensation discussions are a part of the interviewing process, but the starting wage for this position is $15.00 per hour for 40 hours per week (2080 annually). Employees at Penland enjoy competitive pay, attractive benefits, and a lively, creative work environment.
The position will remain open until filled; however, the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by April 30, 2021. The scheduled start date is June 1, 2021. Send cover letter, résumé, and contact information for three references, addressing relevant experience and interest in the position to Alyse Ostreicher, Human Resources Manager, firstname.lastname@example.org. Please include Gallery Coordinator as the subject of your email.
We look forward to hearing from you!