Arts Administration/Nonprofit Management Internship
The Arts Administration/Nonprofit Management Intern is an important member of Penland’s administration team and works closely with professional staff to gain practical work experience in nonprofit planning and procedures that support the school’s mission and programs. They will work in the Executive Director’s office and gain valuable knowledge and experience in leadership, board relation management, special events, fundraising, and program administration. The Arts Administration/Nonprofit Management intern reports to the Executive Assistant. The internship period is May 20-August 10, 2019, 40 hours/week. (Start and end dates are negotiable.)
A Penland internship offers a unique opportunity to live and work in a dynamic, creative educational community and work with accomplished professionals in a mutual learning and knowledge sharing environment. A $500 stipend for work is included. All housing and meals will be provided at no charge to the intern for the duration of the internship period with a $75 stipend for each week of the internship when the Pines dining hall is closed. Class and studio access is not provided.
Penland will work with applicants seeking educational credit for the internship. Details can be discussed in the interview process.
- Help with executive office activities such as student and staff orientations.
- Prepare all summer instructor welcome packets and thank you letters.
- Support Executive Assistant in making travel arrangements for the Executive Director and managing the Executive Director’s calendar.
- Support Executive Assistant by scheduling board committee meetings, preparing committee materials, and taking committee minutes.
- Work in Penland’s donor database (Raiser’s Edge) as need to update records and pull reports.
- Work with registration to greet students at the beginning of each session.
- Assist with planning, set-up, and/or management of special events such as Director’s Luncheons, Scholarship Auctions, the Annual Benefit Auction, and other donor cultivation/stewardship events
- Work with the Executive Assistant to manage all absentee bidding for Penland’s Annual Benefit Auction
- Attend relevant staff planning meetings and take minutes to be circulated campus wide.
- Assist Executive Assistant by drafting monthly board of trustee updates.
- Conduct clerical and administrative duties such as data entry, filing, copying, etc.
- Have a demonstrated interest in the arts/arts administration and/or nonprofit management
- Possess a very high proficiency level using GSuite, Microsoft Word, and Microsoft Excel
- Past experience with nonprofit office work is preferred but not required
- Have some working knowledge of online research
- Possess excellent verbal and written communication skills and a positive professional behavior
- Have excellent customer service skills; be comfortable making phone calls and in person communications with patrons, supporters, instructors and students
- Have a proven ability to work collaboratively with diverse groups of individuals.
- Maintain the ability to work within deadlines, under pressure, and with a positive attitude at all times
- Be highly organized and possess excellent time management skills; attention to detail and accuracy is critical.
- Be highly self-motivated, task oriented and goal oriented
- Possess emotional maturity, ability to practice confidentiality and discretion, self-confidence, and a sense of humor
- Be able to accommodate a flexible work schedule; must work the week of Aug. 7th, including the two-day benefit auction weekend event on August 7-8
This position requires the applicant to walk unaided up and down hills and over uneven terrain, bend, stoop, reach above their head, have use of fine and gross motor skills, and work in close quarters. The applicant must have normal visual acuity at near and far distance with correction and hear the spoken word with correction. The applicant must be fluent in English. The position demands frequent exposure to inclement weather. While performing the duties of this job, the applicant is regularly required to sit and to work at a computer. The applicant is frequently required to use hands to finger, handle, or touch objects, tools, or controls and to talk fluently. The applicant must occasionally lift and/or move heavy objects weighing up to 75 pounds.
Penland School of Crafts believes that diversity and inclusion are essential to fulfilling its mission. We want to inspire and nurture the human spirit, and we value the perspectives and contributions of all people. We want the Penland experience to include varied ideas, world views, and personal characteristics. Penland is committed to being a community that welcomes and respects everyone regardless of age, ability, ethnicity, race, religion, philosophical or political beliefs, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, nationality, geographic origin, and socioeconomic status. We are committed to providing an environment free of discrimination.
The internship will remain open until filled, however the initial review of applications will consist of applications received by February 1, 2020. Send resume and cover letter addressing relevant experience and interest in the internship, personal contact information and email contact information for at least 3 professional references (a minimum of 1 of the 3 shall be from an employer) to Rachel Smith, Executive Assistant, Penland School of Crafts, PO Box 37 Penland, NC 28765 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Penland School of Craft is an international center for craft education offering residential workshops, residencies, community education programs, and exhibitions. Located on 420 acres in the NC Mountains, Penland has 16 teaching studios and a total of 57 historic and contemporary buildings. Penland School of Crafts is an equal opportunity employer with a staff of 70. Penland operates with a $44 million endowment and an annual operating budget of $6 million. We offer several internships throughout the year. Penland is located about an hour northeast of Asheville, NC.