2018 Penland Winter Residencies
In 2018, Penland will host its fourth annual winter residency program. This is an opportunity for a small community of artists to work independently for a short term in our studios during Penland’s quiet season. There will be a limited number of artists per studio—enough people to provide conversation and creative camaraderie, but not so many that focused time in the studio is compromised. Our goal is to provide professional opportunities for individual or collaborating artists and encourage experimentation and inquiry in all media.
Penland Winter Residencies are for:
• Art educators who are seeking focused work time during a winter break or sabbatical
• Artists seeking time and facilities for research and development that can be uniquely supported by Penland’s studios and equipment
• Two or more artists who want to work collaboratively on a specific project or simply alongside one another in order to share technical expertise and/or creative inspiration. Each member of the collaboration must apply individually.
• Artists and writers seeking focused independent studio time away from day-to-day responsibilities and distractions
"Winter at Penland provided state-of-the-art facilities and the serenity of its mountain setting to focus on my work in a manner I have not been afforded in many years. It allowed me to refresh my creative spirit and create an entirely new body of work. Since the winter months are particularly quiet, an intimate bond can be found with fellow artists who share the time. It is a unique time for intense focus in outstanding studios with a select number of highly-skilled makers."
2014 Penland Winter Resident
Penland Winter Residencies include:
• Well-equipped studios, unfettered time, and a beautiful retreat setting
• The following studios will be available: books, clay, drawing/painting, flameworking, hot glass, iron, letterpress, metals, printmaking, photography*, textiles, wood, and writing. *In 2017 we will not be able to offer darkroom access; digital photography is recommended.
• We welcome writers. We offer shared work spaces for resident writers in one of our quieter studios.
• There will be a studio assistant in each studio to help residents with projects if and as needed. Please note: our studio assistants are not instructors; we assume all residents are able and willing to work independently with only minimal assistance here and there.
2018 Winter Residency Dates and Deadlines:
• 11:59 PM EST, September 15, 2017: application deadline
• October 14, 2017: applicants will be notified of their selection status via e-mail
• November 15, 2017: selected residents must confirm participation and pay studio and/or housing fees
• January 1 - 26, 2018: available dates for all studios
• January 9 - February 9, 2018: additional available dates for clay studios only
How to Apply
• Concise description (1 paragraph) of the project or type of work you plan to pursue during the requested time frame
• Requested dates and length of stay (1-4 weeks in all studios; 1-6 weeks in clay; 1 week minimum is required in all studios)
• Contact information (email and phone) for 2 references who can speak to your level of professionalism and responsibility, seriousness of intent, and ability to work independently without instruction
• 4 images of recent work in digital format
• CV or resume
• All applications will be processed through SlideRoom.
2017 Winter Residency Fees
• $25 non-refundable application fee (paid through SlideRoom with your application)
• $225/week (Mon-Fri) studio fee paid upon acceptance. *Glass/flameworking studio rates are higher and are listed below.
• Artists are responsible for their travel expenses and must supply their own materials and food; meals are not provided but all residents will have access to a shared kitchen.
• Housing costs vary depending on your choice of housing; we offer housing levels from a shared dorm/shared bath to a private room/private bath. You will indicate your housing preference on the application. Check in is after 4pm on Sunday; checkout is by 10am on Saturday.
Weekly Housing Rates
• Dorm $79
• Double/common bath $110
• Double/bath shared with roommate $141
• Single/common bath $173
• Single/private bath $235
Weekly Glass Studio Rates
• Hot Shop $1385 (covers the cost of 5 days with 8 hour blow slots for blower & gaffer with glass, annealer use, and access to cold shop. No gaffer is provided; both blower and gaffer must apply individually through SlideRoom.)
• Cold Shop $513
• Flame Shop $448
• Kiln Shop $410
Frequently Asked Questions
For answers to commons questions about Penland's Winter Residencies:
Winter Residencies FAQ
If you have additional questions related to the 2016 Winter Residencies, please contact:
Sheila Sweetser, Winter Residency Coordinator
828-765-2359, ext. 1101
Melanie Finlayson, Studio Manager
828-765-2359, ext. 1130
Diversity & Inclusion at Penland